Sunday, April 18, 2010

Birthday complex

A couple of weeks ago we had a birthday party for Matt and Ryan. Matt's birthday was back in January but it is not easy to have a party in the winter. We had tried to pass off pizza with a couple of friends and a day of skiing on his actual birthday as his celebration which he seemed totally happy with at the time. Then a few weeks later he started asking "so ok when am I going to have my party?" I told him he already had. His class celebrated with mini cupcakes and we went skiing, remember? "No, my real party, like with friends and a jumpy house and a pokemon pinata". So we started talking about what it was he wanted. Now this drives Rob CRAZY. We have this habit of drawing out birthdays for weeks. The class party, celebrating on the actual bday, a party for local friends, a party for far away friends we may be visiting near a birthday. It is a tad bit crazy-making and overindulgent I admit. But...they are only kids once! Will we be doing this for the next 10 birthdays? No. But they are young now and this is fun.

So we waited for better weather and we rented a jumpy house, invited 10 friends (which ends up being 22 somehow) and had cake and Matt was as happy as could be.

And, to sweetin the deal, we combined Ryan's party with Matt's. Ryan thought it was way cool too. He thought all the kids were there for him when as a matter of fact only 2 were his age.

My littlest is 3 today. He still says he is a baby and I love that he loves being a baby. We did not have cake or even emphasize that it is his actual birthday because that would just be too confusing, right?!?


So see...I do not overindulge! And the moral of the story is avoid being the third born...the good stuff gets thin this far down the road.

2 comments:

  1. why does it seem like every time I leave you a comment it never shows up? I think I always forget to type in the safety password.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I'm participating in the Tuesday Blog Party too! Great idea with the wine! I wanted to follow all the blogs that are participating, so here I am! Have a great week and feel free to swing by my blog!

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    www.groschengoblins.com

    ReplyDelete